Evolution Theatre Company was founded in January 2008 by Artistic Director Emeritus Paul Lockwood, a writer-actor-singer who has worked in New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and elsewhere. ETC is now under the direction of Mark Phillips Schwamberger, a theater professional with over 25 years of experience in acting, directing and writing in New York, as well as in various other cities throughout the East Coast and the Midwest.
The company’s “premiere only” policy ensures that each show presented is a new experience for Columbus audiences. Among the works produced by Evolution thus far are Douglas Carter Beane’s The Little Dog Laughed, Bryony Lavery’s Frozen, and the throwback gay-themed musical Boy Meets Boy, as well as the world premiere of Edwin Sanchez’s I’ll Take Romance and the first regional festival dedicated to the work of Adam Rapp. Through the theater’s first annual “New Plays in Summer” program, three scripts were selected for staged readings during the summer of 2010, and the most promising of these three will be given a full production in 2012.
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: Approximately five productions per season
- Admission: Individual tickets for plays are $20; musicals, $25; preview performances of either, $10.
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for purchases of 10 or more tickets.
- Subscriptions/Membership: Donors receive benefits commensurate with level of giving. Contact company for more information.