Since its founding at the University of Vermont in 1931, the Robert Hull Fleming Museum has grown into the largest art museum in the state. Its permanent collection now numbers approximately 25,000 pieces and spans millennia, with particular emphasis on 19th and 20th century American landscapes, 18th century British portraits, and, not surprisingly, works by Vermont artists from the mid-19th century to the present. All of this is housed in a charming Colonial Revival building, one of several on campus designed by William Mitchell Kendall of the legendary New York firm McKim, Mead and White.
The Fleming aims to be more than just a repository; it sees itself as a gateway to cultural exchange in the community. To that end, it offers a wide array of panel discussions and workshops that are open to the public and, largely, free. During the academic year, the museum offers Noontime Café, an informal lecture program and luncheon designed to enhance the exhibitions currently on display; there are also periodic gallery talks and receptions scattered throughout the year. (JM)
- Public Transportation: Excellent (a short walk from CCTA buses 2, 11, 56, 76, 86, and 96 at Colchester Avenue/Mansfield Avenue. Note: Bus 11 is a free shuttle.)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Regular Season Hours (Labor Day–April 30th) Tuesday–Friday 9 a.m.–4 p.m., open Wednesdays until 8 p.m., Saturday–Sunday 1 p.m.–5 p.m., closed Mondays and major holidays. Summer Hours (May 1st–Labor Day) Tuesday–Friday noon–4 p.m., Saturday–Sunday: 1 p.m.–5 p.m., closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: $5 adults; $10 family; $3 students and seniors; free for children 6 and under, museum members, faculty, staff and students of UVM, Burlington College, Champlain College, Community College of Vermont, and St. Michael’s College
- Tour: Group tours are available for $3–$5 per person ($25 minimum)
- Membership: Individual membership is $30 (Family/Dual $45). Member benefits are tiered with every member receiving free admission; invitations to members-only events; reduced fees for educational programs and art classes; a subscription to the Museum newsletter, On View; two guest passes; invitations to exhibition openings; a 10% discount in the Museum Store; reduced admission to 200 other Vermont museums; and complimentary admission to Family Day and other special events.
Fleming Museum at the University of Vermont Information