In 1968 representatives from the Tampa Philharmonic and the St. Petersburg Symphony met aboard a barge in Tampa Bay and merged their orchestras into what was then known as the Florida Gulf Coast Symphony. Now, the Florida Orchestra offers well over 100 concerts each year in multiple venues throughout Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater.
With a clear desire to promote musical education, the Florida Orchestra offers discounted tickets to most concerts for students, teachers, and education staff members with a valid ID. Youth concerts are available for 4-5 graders and middle school, high school, and college student are invited to attend rehearsals of Masterworks programs. For adults, the Coffee Concert Series is a special morning concert series that includes pre-concert talks by the conductor and musicians one hour before the concert begin.
Florida Orchestra (TFO) Information
- Other venues: Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, 1010 North MacInnes Place, Tampa; The Richard B. Baumgardner Center for the Performing Arts, 1111,McMullen Booth Road, Clearwater
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performance/Programs: Approximately 140 per year
- Admission: Range from $19-$65; Students, Teachers and Education Staff may purchase individual $10 tickets with a valid school I.D. to most Florida Orchestra concerts (subject to availability.) Group Discounts are offered to parties of 10 or more people.
- Subscription/Memberships: Choose “Pops” or “Masterworks” Series in desired venue. “Masterworks” Series comes in 5,7,10, or 14 concert options. A “Compose Your Own” Series is also offered. All subscribers get free flexible ticket exchanges and a free “Invite-A-Friend” voucher. “Imperial” Subscribers (14 concerts) also enjoy a facility fees waiver to save $28 more per person, and an invitation to a private concert rehearsal and reception with Music Director Stefan Sanderling. “Intermezzo” Subscribers (10 concerts) also enjoy a facility fees waiver to save $20 more per person.
- Activities for Children/Teens: Specially designed 50-minute youth concerts targeted at fourth and fifth graders are frequently presented during the school day at one of the major concert halls in the area. These concerts are open to all public and private schools, home schools and exceptional centers. Additionally, several times a season TFO invites middle school, high school and college students to attend rehearsals of a Masterworks program. Subscription/Membership: Basic membership begins at the Supporter level ($250). All members are recognized in the orchestra house program. Donations above $2500 secure invitations to private “Amadeus Society” Events.