The Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art is one of the most respected university art museums in the United States. French Impressionism, traditional Native American and Southwestern art, Contemporary American Sculpture and Paintings, as well as extensive photographs and drawings are counted among the museum’s offerings.
The Stuart Wing, which opened in October 2011, provides a new 18,000-square-foot expansion of the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art to house the museum’s many collections acquired within the past 15 years. Designed by noted architect Rand Elliott, the new addition is named the Stuart Wing to honor a $3 million lead gift from the Stuart Family Foundation made possible by the generosity of OU Regent Jon R. Stuart and his wife, Dee Dee, a member of the art museum’s board of visitors. Construction on the new wing began in 2009 and includes renovations to the original 1971 building and the addition of the Eugene B. Adkins Gallery, a new photography gallery and new administrative offices. In all, the new Stuart Wing, with renovations, includes 27,480 square feet of exhibition space. Combining that with the 2005 Lester Wing’s 12,106 square footage, the total museum exhibition space, is approximately 40,000 square feet. In addition to the 16,000-object permanent collection, the museum also regularly plays host to travelling exhibitions and specially curated events year round.
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art Information
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday 10 a.m.- 9 p.m.; Sunday 1 p.m.-5 p.m.; closed Monday.
- Admission: Regular admission is $5. Discounts are available for seniors, students, and young people. Members and OU students are free.
- Free Days: Tuesdays are the museum’s free day.
- Tours: Tours focusing on the museum’s collection of European, Contemporary, and Native American Art galleries are available but must be reserved in advance. This can be done by phone or online via the museum’s website. iPod audio tours are available free of charge through the museum.
- Subscription/Memberships: Individual membership starts at $25.
- Other Benefits: Membership at the Supporter level ($100) and above allows members to receive reciprocal privileges at over 200 additional museums.