Originally founded in 1979 as the Florida Shakespeare Theatre, Gablestage has flourished into a group that is much more than a preserver of the best works by the Bard. Recent seasons have in fact taken a very different turn, instead focusing on new and controversial dramas by edgy playwrights like Martin McDonough, Neil LaBute and Sarah Kane, offering South Florida audiences (and students) the unique privilege of experiencing challenging pieces of theatre perhaps no other company in the state would be bold enough to produce.
With a regular lineup also including play readings of developing works, Gablestage has recently entered into an agreement with the city of Miami to take over the now defunct Coconut Grove Playhouse, creating a new 300 seat theatre, more than double the seating capacity of Gablestage’s current home at the Biltmore Hotel.
Gablestage at the Biltmore Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Thursday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $37.50–$42.50, discounts available for groups of 20 or more
- Subscriptions: $200 membership gets you tickets to all six shows for the season. Members save $75.