(July 7 – August 25, 2012) Formerly known as Glimmerglass Opera, the Festival is a summer opera company in upstate New York dedicated to consistently producing operas familiar (Bizet’s Carmen) and obscure (Wagner’s Das Liebesverbot) alike, as well as one American musical theater production per season. Founded in 1975, Glimmerglass is arguably the best off-season option in America for opera, with works by a staggering variety of composers, from Handel to Britten, from Mozart to Carlisle Floyd. Free previews and backstage tours are available prior to performances. The company also actively engages with area schools and music camps through tours and open dress rehearsals.
Glimmerglass Festival Information
- Public Transportation: Poor (the nearest bus – Trailways Cooperstown Station – is 6 miles from the theater)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. The first level of the theater is ADA compliant. Infrared hearing devices are complimentary and may be picked up at the Audience Services Desk one hour prior to each performance
- Performances/Programs: About 44 performances, three operas and one musical theater production; plus various Special Concerts and free events
- Ticket Prices: Start at $26. Seniors 65 and over receive a 10% discount, children 18 and younger, $10 tickets, college students receive a 50% discount, educators receive a 35% discount, Otsego County residents receive a 15% discount
- Subscriptions: Duet ($46-$214); Trio ($66-$315); Quartet ($88-$410); Hall of Fame Weekend ($68-$356); First Performances ($72-$368); Getaway Weekends ($94-$476); Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday Series ($88-$380); Sunday Matinee ($88-$448)
- Giving Levels: Friend (up to $99); Contributor ($100-$499); Guarantor ($500-$999); Bronze ($1,000-$2,499); Silver ($2,500-$4,999); Gold ($5,000-$7,499); Platinum ($7,500-$9,999); Trustees’ Circle ($10,000-$24,999); Festival Circle ($25,000-$49,999); President’s Circle ($50,000-$99,999), Chairman’s Circle ($100,000+). Depending on level, benefits include program recognition, access to dress rehearsals, reserved parking, passes to cast parties, and more.