The Green Hill Center is one of the premiere institutions for the promotion of work by North Carolina’s resident and native artists. Founded in 1974, it has been regularly recognized for excellence in programming by organizations such as the North Carolina Arts Council, Greensboro News & Record, and the North Carolina Art Education Association.
Through its various programs, approximately 175 NC artists are represented by the Center each year, providing vital support to their artistic and professional growth. Five exhibitions are featured annually in Green Hill’s 7,000 square-foot main gallery, located in the Greensboro Cultural Center. Exhibitions range from group shows highlighting particular themes, media and/or regions, to solo shows focusing on the output of individual artists; a majority of exhibitions are produced in-house, with works created specifically for display in the gallery.
In addition to its main facility, Green Hill also has a satellite studio, ArtQuest, located in Greensboro’s Hemphill Branch Library and dedicated primarily to arts education. ArtQuest offers art appreciation and literacy programs for all ages, as well as hands-on workshops in painting, pottery, collage, weaving and more in a fully equipped studio. The facility also features nine permanent installations and a small gallery featuring rotating exhibitions.
Green Hill Center for North Carolina Art Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (easily accessible by all GTA bus routes)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Gallery Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m., open Wednesday until 7 p.m., and Sunday from 2 p.m.–5 p.m. ArtQuest Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday 12:30–5 p.m., Wednesday Free Family Night 5 p.m.–7 p.m., Friday 10 a.m.–5 p.m., Closed Sunday and Monday
- Admission: Suggested donation of $5
- Tour: ArtQuest Group Tour Hours are Tuesday–Thursday: 9 a.m.–10:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.–12:15 p.m. Must schedule in advance
- Membership: Individual membership is $35 (Household $65). Benefits include email updates on events & news; announcements for exhibitions, opening receptions and gallery programs; discounted tickets to Collector’s Choice, Green Hill Center’s signature holiday gala and art sale; invitations to “For Our Member” (FOM) events; and discounts on exhibition catalogs.