One of the foremost ballet companies in the Triad area, Greensboro Ballet is a staple for presenting traditional classical ballet of the 19th and 20th centuries, as well as work by the great George Balanchine. To keep their repertory fresh, GB also frequently commissions newly created pieces by contemporary choreographers.
With the mission to expose local audiences to the art form, GB offers not only public performances, but also outreach and educational programs throughout the Triad area. GB exposes its audiences to some of the most important ballets in history, and makes a point of adhering to the original choreography whenever possible. Ballets such as Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Les Sylphides, and Firebird have helped define Greensboro as a first-rate classical company; their repertoire also includes work from contemporary choreographers Rick McCullough, Leslie Jane Pessemier and Elissa Minet Fuchs, as well as more than two dozen pieces by current company Artistic Director Maryhelen Mayfield.
GB also regularly collaborates with other area performing arts groups such as the Community Theatre, the Eastern Music Festival, Greensboro Opera, and Greensboro Symphony, helping to expand the role and emphasize the importance of ballet in the Triad area.
Greensboro Ballet Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 5-minute walk from all GTA buses, Greyhound buses, and the Amtrak at the Greensboro Galyon Transportation Center)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The company presents a year-round season, plus the annual Nutcracker
- Ticket Prices: Vary from $10–$35. Discounted student, senior, and group rates are often available
- Membership: Friend ($50); Associate ($100); Member’s Circle ($250); Dancer’s Circle ($500); Choreographer’s Circle ($1,000); Director’s Circle ($2,500); Etoile ($5,000+). Member benefits are tiered with every member receiving advance mailings from Greensboro Ballet and name recognition in season playbill
- Other Benefits: At the Member’s Circle Level ($250) members receive 2 tickets to The Nutcracker; at the Director’s Circle Level ($2,500) members have the opportunity to observe in-studio rehearsals and receive name recognition from the stage; and at the Etoile Level ($5,000+) members also get an exclusive Backstage Tour (10 guest limit).