Founded in 1939 as the Greensboro Orchestra, this ensemble got its start at what was then Women’s College, now known as the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. Today, the symphony presents a well-balanced slate of concerts – a Pops series, masterworks by such composers as Vivaldi, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Bruch, and chamber works by Tartini, Brahms, Schumann, and more. In addition to pre-concert lectures and post-concert discussions, the Greensboro Symphony provides educational programs for all age groups: OrKIDStra for preschoolers, school visits from chamber ensembles and special concerts for elementary students, the “Music in the Middle” concert series for seventh graders, free College and High School Nights for students, a free music appreciation series for adults called “Music at Midday” that’s held at local retirement communities, and the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra.
Greensboro Symphony Information
- Venues: Westover Church (505 Muirs Chapel Road); Dana Auditorium (Guilford College, 5800 W. Friendly Avenue); War Memorial Auditorium (1921 W. Lee Street); UNCG School of Music Recital Hall (University of North Carolina, 1400 Spring Garden Street)
- Public Transportation: Good for War Memorial Auditorium (a 2-minute walk from bus 11 at Lee Street/Coliseum Boulevard; and a 5-minute walk from bus 1 at Chapman Street/Spring Garden Street) and Dana Auditorium (a short walk from bus 7 at Muirs Chapel Road/Friendly Avenue). Fair for UNCG School of Music Recital Hall (a 9-minute walk from buses 1 and 9 at Market Street/Aycock Street) and Westover Church (a 12-minute walk from bus 9 at Muirs Chapel Road/Market Street; and a 17-minute walk from bus 7 at Muirs Chapel Road/Friendly Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for each venue
- Performances/Programs: Masterworks Series (5 concerts with multiple performances of each); Chamber Series (5 concerts); POPS Series (5 concerts); and 1 Holiday Concert per season
- Ticket Prices: $22–$38 depending on series and seat selection. Student discounts are available for each concert. Groups of 10 or more also receive discounted tickets
- Subscriptions: Range from $64–$198 with prices varying by series and seat selection
- Membership: Friends (up to $99); Friends Supporter ($100–$249); Friends Patron ($250–$499); Friends Benefactor ($500–$999); Maestro’s Silver Circle ($1,000–$1,999); Maestro’s Gold Circle ($2,000–$4,999); Maestro’s Inner Circle ($5,000–$9,999); Maestro’s Angels ($10,000+). Maestro’s Silver Circle members and higher are entitled to purchase a VIP Parking Pass for the parking lot in front of War Memorial Auditorium for the Masterworks performances.