Started in 1939, HSO is a two-time winner (in 2003 and 2007) of ASCAP’s Award for Adventurous Programming. HSO presents a far-reaching array of concert series and outreach programs. In addition to its Masterworks and POPS! offerings, the HSO presents chamber music fare in its Sunday Serenades series at the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, the Talcott Mountain Music Festival each summer in nearby Simsbury, and free concerts through the series Musical Dialogues and Music Lincs Hartford Arts, which seek to establish further connections with nontraditional audiences and other artistic disciplines, respectively, in the Greater Hartford community.
If that weren’t enough, the orchestra’s educational arm, called Musical Pathways, presents Hoffman Discovery Concerts to local students, as well as the “Instrument Zoo,” instrument-making workshops, master classes with visiting Teaching Artists, and more.
Hartford Symphony Orchestra Information
- Public Transportation: Good (Several CTT bus lines are near the Bushnell)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: More than 100 per year
- Ticket Prices: Each performance is priced individually. Discounts are frequently available for students and seniors. Group tickets are available for parties of 10 or more
- Membership: Individual membership range from $50–$1,999. All membership levels receive concert hall name listing, and a listing in the HSO Program Guide once a year. At the Principal’s Club Level ($500–$999) members receive dining privileges in Horace Bushnell Suite on Masterworks and POPS! Evenings.