Having only been in existence since 1989, the Houston Children’s Chorus has already racked up an astonishing resume, including performances for two former U.S. presidents, collaborations with Celine Dion, the Beach Boys, Dionne Warwick and others, and a stint with the Broadway touring production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, to name just some of the highlights.
But the 250-plus Chorus—comprising both the Preparatory Choir for 2nd and 3rd graders and the Town Choir for students in grades 4 through 8—has more going for it than just a flashy pop pedigree. Its repertoire includes sacred works from the classical canon and world music selections, and its choristers come from many different school districts in the area. The group’s web site states: “It is our goal to make the Houston Children’s Chorus completely accessible to every child in the city of Houston regardless of age or economic status.” It should be noted that choir membership includes tuition costs derived from voice lessons, musical training, and travel expenses. Financial aid scholarships are available.
Houston Children’s Chorus Information
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: Several performances per season
- Ticket Prices: Each performance is priced individually. Discounts are frequently available for students and seniors
- Donations: Donations of any amount are appreciated.