Houston Grand Opera opened in 1955 with a performance of Salome, and has gone on to become one of the world’s leading opera companies, bringing in top performers of national and international renown and presenting dozens of world premiere productions. HGO’s free pre-curtain lectures, which begin approximately 45 minutes before each performance, help make opera more accessible to the audience. Other notable educational programs at HGO include Storybook Opera for kids pre-K to second grade, 45-minute Opera to Go! touring productions, the High School Voice Studio, Opera Camps, and the “Song of Houston” series of original works.
Houston Grand Opera Information
- Public Transportation: Fair
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Six full productions with multiple performances, plus special events such as the Opera Ball, concerts, and free public performances of operas
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets start at $20
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Full six-opera subscriptions available for $78–$1,498.50. Build your own Opera to order three- four- and five-opera subscriptions for $19–$248 per show. Subscriber benefits include free ticket exchanges, free lost ticket replacement, invites to special events, and 10% discount on additional single tickets
- Membership: Membership beginning at $100 includes special discounts, guild membership and other privileges such as dress rehearsal tickets and invitations to special events. The Young Patrons Circle is a special membership group for individuals and couples ages 21–39. Annual dues are $1,500, and membership includes invitations to special members-only events, along with discounts and priority ticket purchasing options.