Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is a cocktail of ballet and contemporary styles with a twist of jazz. Founded in 1977 by Lou Conte, an ex-Broadway hoofer, this company is truly an American original. Although the overall style has developed into something more eclectically sophisticated, that show-stopping jazz-dance attitude remains delightfully prevalent.
As a formidable presence in the Chicago area, Hubbard Street Dance has a mission of identifying and supporting young talent, holding a national choreographic competition every year and awarding three emerging artists the opportunity to create original staged works for the company.
The Hubbard Street Dance Center, unveiled in 2006, now houses the main company, Hubbard Street 2 and the Lou Conte Dance Studio. The studio offers weekly classes in a variety of styles, including jazz, modern, tap, African, hip-hop, and Pilates from beginner to professional. Chicago magazine has called it the “Best Dance Class for Adults.”
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Four programs a year. Each program runs for one week with four or five performances
- Ticket Prices: Range from $25 to $86
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10 or more may receive discounts to select performances
- Subscriptions: Subscriptions are available for all four shows or any two shows of your choice. The approximate discount for subscribing is 25% for full-season subscriptions, 15% for the two-pack. Benefits include priority seating, flexible ticket-exchange privileges, discounts on additional single-ticket purchases, invitations to behind-the-scenes events, and a subscription to the HSDC newsletter
- Membership: Donor fees start at $50 and include 10% off two tickets to HSDC performances at the Harris Theater and one free class at the Lou Conte Dance Studio
- Educational/Community Outreach: Hubbard Street Dance has developed extensive educational and community programs, the most well-known of which is Hubbard Street 2, its young-performers company. HS2 functions both as a training ground and as a resource for HSDC’s main company.