The Huntington Library, Art Collection, and Botanical Garden resides on an estate in San Marino that you may recognize from the movies. The gardens cover 120 acres and contain rare plants from around the world, separated by theme (Palm Garden, Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, Desert Garden, etc.). After taking in the sunshine and exotic greenery, inside you’ll find an art collection that consists of works of 18th- and 19th-century British and French artists, and 18th–20th-century American artists.
In addition to astonishing holdings in the library (a Gutenberg Bible, for one) is the recently acquired William Morris collection, made up of books, textiles, ceramics, drawings, embroidery, wallpaper, and stained-glass relating to the pre-Raphaelite artist and designer. Programming for adults includes lectures, symposia, and films.
Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens Information
- Public Transportation: Poor (Metro Rail Gold Line Allen Avenue station is about 1-1/2 miles north of the Huntington. Nearest buses stop approximately one mile away)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Fair (all areas are accessible, although some of the garden is steep and should be avoided; the Visitor’s Guide contains recommended routes for wheelchairs)
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday–Friday noon–4:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., closed Tuesday
- Admission: $15 weekdays, $20 weekends and Monday holidays, seniors (65+) $12/$15, students (12–18) $10, youth (5–11) $6, children (under 5) free; discounts for groups of 15 or more
- Free Day: Admission to the Huntington is free to all visitors on the first Thursday of every month with advance tickets. Hours on Free Day are 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Tours: Free daily tours of the garden are offered with the price of admission
- Membership: Sustaining membership is $120 annually and includes full membership privileges for two adults at the same household, unlimited free admission during public hours, unlimited free admission during public hours for your children or grandchildren under 18 accompanied by a cardholder, a complimentary one-day Guest Pass, express entry so members can bypass admission lines, discounts on selected lectures, classes, and museum bookstore purchases, and invitations to special members-only events. Senior discounts are $90 (65+) and include all Sustaining membership benefits.