Contrary to its name, which is meant to be taken ironically, this company bills itself as a “Theater of Honesty.” It consists of actors who “employ a genuine emotional vulnerability rather than manufacturing a disconnected, intellectual version of emotion” while performing in productions that “embrace high theatricality.” Recent presentations in various venues have ranged from Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex to Eugene O’Neill’s Desire Under the Elms and The Hairy Ape to the Brecht/Weill musical The Threepenny Opera. The Hypocrites promise, “We won’t kill you or steal your babies. We will make theater. We will make art.”
Hypocrites Theater Company Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performances Thursday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $20–$25; discounts available for students, seniors, and groups
- Subscriptions: Three-Play season for as low as $45.