The ICP is a comprehensive organization (including a museum, school and research center) dedicated to the study and perpetuation of photography as an important cultural medium. Concerned first with fostering a wider appreciation for photography, the Institute presents exhibitions (over 500 in ICP history) and offers numerous workshops, classes and public outreach programs.
Over 100,000 images are contained in the Institute’s collection, which spans the history of the medium, from daguerreotype to digital. Included are comprehensive archives of the works of major photographers such as Robert Capa, Roman Vishniac, and Weegee (Arthur Fellig), among others. The ICP’s Library contains a vast catalogue of information on the history and practice of photography.
The Institute was founded in 1974 by photographer Cornell Capa, and initially occupied the historic Willard Straight House on Fifth Avenue. In 1985 a satellite building was opened to accommodate the ICP’s expansion, which since 2000 has served as the Institute’s main facility. In 2001 the ICP opened its school across the street from the main building, where numerous programs are offered, including continuing ed courses and graduate and certificate programs.
International Center of Photography (ICP) Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (B, D, F, M, or 7 to 42nd Street/Bryant Park; the 1, 2, 3, N, Q, R, or S to Times Square; and the A, C, or E to 42nd Street/Port Authority; Buses M5, M6, M7 to 42nd Street at Avenue of the Americas)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (wheelchairs available upon request)
- Hours: Tuesday–Thursday, Saturday, Sunday 10 a.m.–6 p.m., Friday 10 a.m.–8 p.m., Closed Mondays, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
- Admission: General, $12; Students/Seniors, $8; Children under 12/ICP Members, free
- Free Day: Voluntary contribution Fridays 5–8 p.m.
- Tours: Guided and self-guided tours are available. Guided adult tours, $15 per visitor; discounted rates for school groups (K-college; NYC public schools free) & seniors; discounts on self guided group tours of between 10–25 visitors
- Membership: Individual annual membership is $75 (Seniors $55, Double $100). Benefits include unlimited free admission, exhibition previews, discounts on courses, workshops and at Museum Store and Café, access to ICP library.