Isabella Stewart Gardner and her husband were avid art collectors whose collection contains more than 2,500 pieces, including European tapestries, furniture, mosaics, manuscripts, and paintings by Sargent, Degas, Raphael, and Matisse. She also designed the building and even hung the objects. Because of her will, very little has changed since her death in 1924. Resembling a Venetian Palace, the museum is centered on a Palazzo courtyard, home of the museum’s long-running concert series.
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Information
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible via 39 bus or the Green line E train)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (most of the museum’s galleries, the museum shop, Gardner Café, and restrooms are wheelchair accessible; information is also available in Braille and in large print at the Visitor Information Desk)
- Hours: Tuesday–Sunday 11 a.m.–5 p.m.; closed Monday (open some Monday holidays; closed Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas)
- Admission: $12, seniors $10, college students $5; everyone named Isabella admitted free; $2 off adult/senior admission when visiting both the MFA and Gardner Museum within a two-day period
- Free Day: Columbus Day (Monday October 13) free admission 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Tours: Guided tours may be arranged three weeks in advance; modest fees are charged. Discounted rates are available to adult, senior, and student groups with more than 15 people
- Audio Tours: $4
- Membership: Individual membership ($60, fully tax deductible) includes unlimited free admission for one adult for one year, invitations to members-only exhibition previews and special events, and special member prices and advance notice for concerts and lectures. Special membership fees available to students ($25, fully tax deductible) and non-residents ($50, fully tax deductible). Dual/family memberships are also offered ($85, fully tax deductible)
- Other Benefits: Supporters ($250, $235 is tax deductible) receive reciprocal membership to more than 25 participating museums, as well as complimentary museum passes admitting four guests. Contributor ($500, $465 is tax deductible) and Courtyard Circle members ($1,000, $955 is tax deductible) receive additional perks and benefits.