The oldest Jewish center on the West Coast, the JCCSF has been providing myriad services to all members of San Francisco’s community since 1877. The Center offers musical concerts in all genres, theater performances, lectures and talks by artists, authors and scholars. Art exhibits are featured in its Katz Snyder Gallery, as is a permanent collection of artwork and photography (all dating from the past century) addressing the Jewish condition across the globe. Efforts are made to keep admission costs low for all events, in the interest of making these programs available to the largest possible segment of the public.
In addition to its cultural offerings, the JCCSF features an extensive educational program, including three preschools, after school programs for grades K-6, teen programs, summer camps, and youth sports leagues. A 42,000 square foot fitness center is available to all members (and non-members with a $24 daily pass), as are free health and wellness programs for adults. Above all, the purpose of the JCCSF is to facilitate a greater appreciation for Jewish culture, and a stronger connection between San Francisco’s Jewish population and the greater community.
Jewish Community Center of San Francisco Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (steps from buses 1, 2, 3, and 43 and California Street/Presidio Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The JCCSF offers everything from fitness programs to adult-education classes. Arts & Ideas programming includes literary events, film screenings, concerts, discussions with notable people, dance, and other performance events
- Ticket Prices: Vary based on program. Ticket discounts are available for members, as are frequent student discounts. Discounts also available on Goldstar.com
- Subscriptions: Several different subscription series choices available, including a create-your-own series option. Subscriber benefits include preferred seating and free ticket exchanges
- Membership: Community membership is $180 per year for a household ($125 for individuals, $100 for seniors). Benefits include discounts on classes and programs, discounts on special events, priority registration, members-only special offers, $1 off general admission price at Balboa Theatre, 50% off a subscription to J (the Jewish News Weekly of Northern California), and numerous discounts at local shops and restaurants. Center membership includes the same benefits, plus access to the fitness and aquatics facilities, a parking discount at the JCCSF garage, priority registration for classes and sports leagues, and priority use of drop-in childcare.