The Jordan Schnitzer Museum (JSMA) is the University of Oregon’s affiliated art museum, opened in 1933 to house the Murray Warner Collection of Oriental Art. The collection was donated by Gertrude Bass Warner and included over 3700 pieces. The museum’s original building was designed by Ellis F. Lawrence, longtime UO Dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts. It is one of the most distinctive architectural specimens in the state of Oregon, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2002 the Museum broke ground on a new, expanded facility, and in 2005 reopened under its current name, the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. To this day, JSMA is known for the international diversity of its permanent collection; Chinese, Japanese, Korean and American (specifically Pacific Northwest) art are all strongly represented here. The current permanent collection includes over 13,000 works. The Jordan Schnitzer also features special exhibitions and masterworks-on-loan programs, as well as public programs designed to enrich appreciation for art of all types in the local community. The JSMA offers a full complement of educational activities, including lectures, workshops, family activities, camps, as well as curricular collaboration with the University of Oregon.
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Good (Buses 28, 73, 81 from the Approaching UO Station are a 2-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Sunday 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Wednesday open until 8:00 p.m. Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: $5; seniors (62+) $3; students (18 and under), University/college students, University of Oregon faculty and staff, and members are free. Two-for-Tuesday you can buy one regular priced admission and receive a second admission free. Pay-what-you-wish every Wednesday from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Free general admission to everyone the first Friday of each month
- Tour: Free with the price of admission, and are available on the first Saturday of every month at 1:00 p.m. Tours are approximately forty-five minutes in length. Group tours are available, but must be requested at least 6 weeks in advance
- Audio Tour: The iTour is an interactive audio guide to the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. Visitors may borrow iPods with pre-loaded iTours for free at the JSMA admissions desk
- Membership: Individual membership is $45; Family membership is $55. All members receive unlimited free admission for one year, invitations to the opening receptions for major exhibitions, and invitation to Members’ Season Preview Party, the JSMA Member Newsletter (published tri-annually), recognition in the Annual Report, advance notice about upcoming special events including lectures, films, workshops and more, eligibility to join museum volunteer groups, discounts on workshops and classes, a 10% discount at the Museum Store, and a 10% discount at Marché Museum Café.