José Mateo Ballet Theatre distinguishes itself in New England as the only ballet company to produce an entire repertory by its own resident choreographer, the Cuban-born José Mateo. Their performances at the Sanctuary Theatre are intimate cabaret-style events allowing for comfy seating and cocktails during the shows.
In addition to their season performances, JMBT is an active presence in the greater Boston community. The company has initiated a number of outreach efforts including their Dance for the Commonwealth programs, which provide training, scholarships, and ticket access to local youth, and their Dance for World Community Festival, a cross-sector project in partnership with local civic agencies and businesses.
José Mateo Ballet Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The company presents a fall and spring season, plus the annual Nutcracker. Each show runs for about three weeks
- Ticket Prices: $15–$50. Discounts are available for friends and family of cast members. The company also offers a youth concert series and seniors matinée series at discounted prices. Through the Community Ticket Access program, the company provides free tickets to disadvantaged children and adults
- Membership: There is no annual membership program. All individual donors of $175 or more are invited to gala fundraiser events. Junior patrons (under 30) may also attend gala fundraisers with a donation of $100.