Works by Monet, Degas, El Greco, Jackson Pollock, and Grant Wood are highlights of the permanent collection of Nebraska’s most celebrated art museum. Although Joslyn’s holdings include a wide array of works from antiquity onward, its emphasis is on European and American art from the 19th and 20th centuries. As one would rightly expect of a museum in the heartland, Joslyn has a fine collection of art of the American West, including the largest assemblage of Karl Bodmer’s watercolors documenting his 1830s trip to the Missouri River frontier.
To bring the art on its walls to life, Joslyn organizes a bevy of activities, including a book club for art enthusiasts, monthly art lectures given by Creighton University faculty, and “Appetite for Art” gallery talks (plus thematic lunches) with Joslyn’s Director. Third Thursday Art Encounters Club provides tours for seniors, College Night allows college students and faculty to enjoy art and live music, and the Young Art Patrons program ($75 to join) nurtures art lovers from ages 25 to 40 with a variety of social and educational events and activities.
Joslyn Art Museum Information
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday noon – 4 p.m.; closed Mondays, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Peter Kiewit Foundation Sculpture Garden open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. each day year round.
- Admission: Tickets are $8 for adults, $6 for seniors (62+) and college students with ID, and $5 for ages 5-17. Admission is free for museum members and visitors 4 and younger. There may be additional charges for some special exhibitions. Admission to the Sculpture Garden is free for everyone.
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10 or more are eligible for discounts. All Omaha Public School groups are free.
- Free Day: Free general admission on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Subscription/Memberships: Museum memberships start at $45 (discounts available for students, seniors, and educators). Member benefits include free admission to the museum and exhibitions, invitations to members-only events, 10% discount at museum café and shop, discounts on classes and lectures, and subscription discounts on national and international art magazines.