Each year, Jump-Start presents a season of four to six new works by company members and associate artists, many of which have gone on to tour nationally. Productions include: On the Pulse of the Morning, inspired by Maya Angelou’s inaugural poem; The House on Mango Street, an adaptation of a Sandra Cisneros novel; Memory’s Caretaker, by Paul Bonin-Rodriguez; Santo Negro, by Sterling Houston; and Big, Bad and Beautiful, by Alicia Fernandez. Jump-Start Playworks, an anthology of plays premiered at the theater, was published in 2004
Additionally, Jump-Start has presented works by guest artists such as Peggy Shaw, Ntozake Shange, Robert Wilson, Astrid Hidad, Scott Turner Schofield, Robert Karimi, Denise Chavez, and Karen Finley. Over the years, the company has increased its community education programming, focusing on ethnic minority youth from low-income areas. Jump-Start’s facility, located just south of downtown San Antonio, includes a 150-seat performance space, a gallery/lobby, a classroom, and company offices.
Jump-Start Performance Co Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (accessible by a few local transit buses)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 55 performances per season.
- Admission: Varies widely ($5-100) depending on performance, date, seating choice and various available discounts.
- Discounts: Rush tickets are available at some performances, as well as discounts for students and seniors; group rates also available.