Founded in 1982 as the successor to the Kansas City Philharmonic, the Kansas City Symphony serves the metropolitan area with a 42-week season and 80 full-time musicians. The KCS offers many educational and outreach performances in addition to its regular subscription concerts and performances with the Lyric Opera of Kansas City and the Kansas City Ballet.
In efforts to promote the learning of young musicians, the KCS offers two educational series for children: KinderKonzerts, for kindergarten and first grade, which introduce basic music principles and instruments; and Young People’s Concerts for fourth-eighth grades, which combine music with other disciplines of learning. This year’s Young People’s Concert, How the West Was Won, takes the children on a musical journey from Missouri to California following the trail of Old West settlers. Students a bit older (grades 6–12 and above) will appreciate KCS’s open dress rehearsals (only $3/person), where they’re able to see a rehearsal in progress and are given the opportunity to ask the musicians questions. All of KCS’s events are listed in their free monthly online newsletter, E-Notes.
After nearly three decades at the Lyric Theatre, the KCS moves into the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts for the 2011-12 season.
Kansas City Symphony Information
- Other Venues: Yardley Hall at Johnson County Community College, College Blvd. and Quivira Road, Overland Park; Church of the Resurrection, 5001 W. 137th Street, Leawood
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 135 performances are given per season
- Ticket Prices: $15–$65. Student discounts are offered on all concerts and frequently Rush tickets are available to students two hours prior to all concerts not previously sold out. Rush-ticket prices begin at $8 per student for Classical series concerts and $10 per student for Pops series concerts
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Subscriptions are pre-selected packages tailored to specific musical tastes; subscribers choose the concerts they want to see. Classical, Masterworks, Bravo, Ovation, or Pops series subscriptions are available. Subscribers receive significant discounts on ticket prices and children are free with the purchase of an adult subscription. Tickets can be exchanged for any other Classical, Pops, or Family concert up until the day before a performance
- Membership: Begins at Associate membership for $100. Benefits include recognition in the annual Contributors’ Concert program book, an invitation to the special Kansas City Symphony annual Contributors’ Concert in May, and a subscription to the Kansas City Symphony newsletter
- Other Benefits: Donors at higher levels receive complimentary tickets to special events, open invitations to the Symphony Suite at the Lyric Theatre, and dinner with guest artists after the concert.