Not to be confused with Kantorei of Denver, the Twin Cities’ Kantorei Chamber Choir has been led by its founder, Artistic Director Axel Theimer since 1988. The roughly 40-member a cappella group possesses a notably focused repertoire as champions of Austro-German composers such as Mendelssohn, Brahms, Hindemith and Wolf, whose musical legacies have informed much of Minnesota’s cultural and artistic history.
The group’s community outreach is also highly specialized, as evidenced in its “Singing for a Lifetime” concerts and workshops, which help to impart “lifespan voice education.” In this way, local church and school choirs are given the tools to sing effectively while preserving vocal health. Above all, Kantorei’s sensitivity to the tastes of its audience, as well as to the needs of its community, sets its musical offerings apart.
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: 8–15 per season
- Ticket Prices: Adults $15; Students and seniors (65+) $10. Free rush tickets are available to high school students
- Donations: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated.