With its crisp, nuanced, and sensual style, the Koresh Dance Company is a Philadelphia favorite. It was founded in 1991 by Israeli born artistic director Ronen Koresh and his brother, executive director Alon Koresh. Ronen got his start performing with Philadelphia phenomenon Waves Jazz Dance Company in the 80’s and while his own choreography has gone far beyond the boundaries of jazz dance, the repertoire of sixty-odd works he has made for his company retain signature flourishes of speed, synchronization, and spectacle.
In addition to performing and touring, the company maintains a school and is active in local arts and education. They host the bi-monthly Koresh Artist Showcase, which gives local emerging artists a free platform to present their work, and they organize the Koresh Kids Dance program, which brings arts education to underserved children in the Philadelphia area.
Koresh Dance Company Information
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible by SEPTA Route C bus, Broad Street Subway or PATCO)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Koresh is usually on tour throughout the country, but generally performs one or two programs a year in Philadelphia. Each program runs about four performances
- Ticket Prices: Tickets are handled directly by presenting venues. Prices generally range from $40 to $60. The Suzanne Roberts Theater offers happy-hour student Rush tickets for $10
- Group Discounts: The Roberts Theater also offers discounts to groups of 10 or more
- Membership: Basic annual donor fees start at $25. This includes a subscription to the Koresh online newsletter, recognition in company performance programs, and invitations to special company events.