This company is known for its unique, hybrid form of audio theatre and its innovative use of technology in the production and dissemination of classic and contemporary plays in the form of audio plays. Through its live-performance “The Play’s the Thing Series” in Los Angeles and in studio recordings, world class actors are recorded as they perform complete texts of plays in state-of-the-art sound, complemented by intricate sound designs and on-stage effects. The company’s roster of actors has included John Lithgow, Hilary Swank, Ed Asner, Marsha Mason, David Strathairn, Jobeth Williams, Neil Patrick Harris, Laurence Fishburne, Hector Elizondo, and Julie Harris, among hundreds of others.
L.A. Theatre Works’ Audio Theatre Collection of more than 400 recorded plays ranges from works by Sophocles, Oscar Wilde, and Arthur Miller to contemporary classics by David Mamet and Tom Stoppard, as well as newer works by Kenneth Lonergan, Lynn Nottage, and Stephen Adly Guirgis. These recordings are available in libraries throughout the U.S. and are also accessible through the company’s website and via in-store and online retailers including iTunes and Audible.com. The company’s weekly public radio show is heard by 7 million listeners annually, and its national touring program brings “live in performance” radio drama to audiences across the country.
L.A. Theatre Works Information
- Public Transportation: Good (bus 761 has a stop at the Skirball Center)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule varies, but generally Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $39.50–$47, student tickets are $20, subscribers save up to 20%
- Subscriptions: VIP subscription $365–$375; Five-Play subscription $200; Three-Play subscription $127. Benefits include lost-ticket insurance (for VIP subscribers only) and free parking.