Innovative new plays, unexpected adaptations, experimental theater pieces, and classics are on display on every La Jolla Playhouse season schedule. In addition, La Jolla Playhouse has become a Broadway breeding ground of sorts with Jersey Boys, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Cry-Baby, Memphis, I Am My Own Wife, The Farnsworth Invention, and Billy Crystal’s 700 Sundays all having begun at this theater.
The Playhouse has also done something extraordinary in establishing the Performance Outreach Program, an initiative that each year puts topnotch playwrights to the task of crafting an original play for young audiences (not just the same old fairy-tale adaptations), which then tours schools, libraries, and community centers everywhere.
La Jolla Playhouse offers patrons several programs/special events to deepen their enjoyment and understanding of each production. The Playhouse offers patrons the opportunity to learn more about the shows they see on stage during Illuminating Audience events. This includes pre-show insider events, talkbacks with the cast and creative team, reaction events and the Discovery Sunday series, which features a moderated discussion with special guest speakers about the issues and themes presented in each play. During Foodie Fridays, patrons who purchase a ticket to select performances can enjoy a complimentary microbrew tasting, plus access to some of San Diego’s hottest food trucks. The “Out & About” program offers an all-inclusive Thursday evening social mixer and performance series for San Diego’s LGBT community. In addition, La Jolla Playhouse also offers $20 tickets to theatergoers who are 30 years old and younger as part of the “30 And Under” program.
- Public Transportation: Good (a 2-minute walk from bus 101 at Scholars Dr./La Jolla Village Dr.; and a 7-minute walk from buses 30, 150, 201, and 202, at Scholars Dr./Gillman Dr.)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $25–$100, special discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Three-Show $79–$148. Subscriber benefits include ticket exchanges, ticket discounts, seating preferences, discounts on summer theater programs for kids, and free parking.