The Trocks, an all-male company, have been performing both the male and female roles in a bevy of classical ballet and modern dance favorites since their founding in 1974. Complete with Russian names, the Trocks stay faithful to the style and sensibility of each piece even as they affectionately exaggerate the exigencies of the art.
Whether they are sylphs, swans, water sprites, or princesses, the Trocks do justice to dancing en pointe, even if their feet are a bit oversized and their tutus just a little thicker than what we’re used to seeing on the classical stage! But never think the company is doing anything other than paying serious tribute to the great choreographers of the past or contemporary choreographers of the present. The company’s repertoire includes classic ballets like Balanchine’s Stars and Stripes, Petipa’s Don Quixote and Fokine’s Les Sylphides, along with more contemporary pieces styled after Pina Bausch and Martha Graham.
The Trocks have won a host of awards with their highly entertaining mix of parody and serious dance en travesty, including the Critic’s Circle National Dance Award and the Theatrical Managers Award. Based in New York, they usually spend the first two months of the year touring the U.S. before heading overseas.
Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo Information
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 100 performances per season
- Ticket Prices: Varies widely depending on venue
- Membership: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated. Depending on amount donated, benefits include an invitation to an open rehearsal; an autographed pointe shoe from a company dancer; and a poster autographed by the full company.