One only needs to quickly glance at the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra’s roster of vital artistic directors and distinguished professional musicians to realize that this ensemble lives up to its vision of orchestral music as a “living tradition” to be upheld and shared.
Created in 1968 as a way for West Coast studio musicians specializing in the film and record industries to fully explore the heights of creative collaboration, the LACO performs music from all the major time periods important to Western orchestral music. Led by Music Director Jeffrey Kahane, the acclaimed keyboardist, conductor and top-tier Mozart interpreter, and complemented by prominent composer-in-residence Derek Bermel, the orchestra pays considerable attention to the Baroque era and to contemporary works by active composers.
Of paramount importance, the LACO actively makes itself relevant to its emergent audiences through interactive conversations integrated through many of its performances and its “Westside Connections” series which features chamber music strongly tied to other artistic disciplines. Far from being left behind in a youthful, digital age the orchestra offers LACO Pulse, a network for orchestral music fans in their 20s and 30s that holds free post-concert mixers for ticketholders and has discount offers throughout the season. In addition, podcasts related to upcoming performances can be found here.
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra Information
- Venues: Alex Theatre, 216 North Brand Boulevard, Glendale; Royce Hall, 340 Royce Dr., Westwood; Zipper Concert Hall, 200 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles; The Broad Stage, 1310 11th St., Santa Monica; Ambassador Auditorium, 131 S. Saint John Ave., Pasadena
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: Between 16 and 21 concerts are performed annually
- Ticket Prices: Prices range from $18 to $95, depending on seat. Student Rush tickets are available for $10 one hour before show time; students and seniors may purchase tickets for Section D for Orchestral Series concerts at the Alex Theatre and Royce Hall for $42 (regularly $50)
- Group Discounts: Groups of 12 or more may receive discounts up to 15% off
- Subscriptions: Various options are offered, including the Orchestral series, which includes tickets to all seven orchestral concerts given in a season, and the Flex series, offering four concerts of your choosing. Conversations is a four-concert series with each performance ending with a question-and-answer forum. Baroque and Family subscriptions are also available. Benefits include free ticket exchange and lost-ticket replacement
- Activities for Children: The Family Concert series offers a musical experience appropriate for families with children five years and older. From 1 to 2 p.m., these concerts feature an instrument “petting zoo” where children get to try out instruments, followed by a 2 p.m. family concert.