Established in 1964 and officially known as the Performing Arts Center of Los Angeles County, the Music Center encompasses four major performance venues on an 11-acre campus. Each venue serves as the residence for one of the city’s major performing arts organizations: the Ahmanson Theater houses the Center Theatre Group, the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (3,200 seats) houses the Los Angeles Opera, the Mark Taper Forum also houses the Center Theatre Group and the more recent Walt Disney Concert Hall (designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry) houses the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale. The WDCH also includes two outdoor amphitheaters and BP Hall, which is used for pre-concert events.
In addition to the myriad performances and events that can be found here daily, the Music Center houses a vast archive of documentation and memorabilia relating to the music, theater and dance that has been featured here in its decades of history, as well as all of the Center’s affiliated organizations, including the Hollywood Bowl. The Music Center also plays a major role in arts education in the local community; instruction programs in music, dance, theater and the visual arts are provided to all schools in Los Angeles County. A number of programs for children and adults are also available on the Music Center Campus.
Los Angeles Music Center Information
- Venues: Music Center is home to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the Ahmanson Theater, the Mark Taper Forum and Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible by the Red and Purple lines at the Civic Center Station, as well as several buses and the Silver Line)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Companies in residence at Music Center include the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Center Theater Group, the Los Angeles Opera, and the Los Angeles Master Chorale
- Ticket Prices: Varies by company
- Subscriptions/Membership: Individual companies have their own subscription plans and discount ticket options. The Music Center has many membership groups, including Center Dance Arts, the Fraternity of Friends, the Blue Ribbon, and Club 100
- Other Items of Interest: World City (performances by international artists) and Pillow Theatre (shows for families with kids) are admission-free programs.