LWDT was founded in 1980 by Lula and Erwin Washington as a vehicle for minority dancers in South L.A. The company incorporates a school for dancers, and many of LWDT’s members are former students now well-versed in jazz, modern, ballet, hip-hop, and traditional African techniques.
Utilizing a strong blending of dance styles, LWDT displays vitality, soul, and a commitment to the expression of the minority experience. The company’s repertory includes pieces by Lula Washington, Donald McKayle, Katherine Dunham, Donald Byrd, Christopher Huggins, Rennie Harris, and Rudy Perez as well as emerging choreographers like current LWDT Associate Director Tamica Washington-Miller.
LWDT regularly tours nationally, and is lauded for its attention to social and humanitarian issues. In Washington’s We Wore the Mask, the company creates a riveting depiction of the struggle of men and woman in African culture. But it’s not all drama; the company is ready to display its exuberance at the drop of a hat, such as in Rennie Harris’ Reign, which showcases the dancers’ verve, style, and sass.
Diverse, intelligent, and entertaining, LWDT is not only dedicated to giving great performances, but also to motivating inner city kids, enriching and educating them with the spirit of dance. (MK)
- Other Venues: Various venues throughout the Los Angeles area, as well as tours around the country and abroad
- Public Transportation: Good (accessible by the Silver Line and buses 70, 256, 665, and ELCT, all at the Cal State LA Metrolink Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Two programs each year, one performance each
- Ticket Prices: $30. Students and children 18 and under may purchase specially priced tickets. Actual prices vary by performance. Seniors may purchase tickets at a 20% discount. Members of DRC, K-JAZZ, KCET, KMZT, KCRW, and KUSC receive 20% off regular prices. Additionally, Cal State L.A. faculty, staff and alumni-association members receive 20% off regular prices. Members of the military also receive 20% off regular prices
- Group Discounts: Groups of 15 or more receive a 20% discount on all tickets booked in advance.