Founded as The Opera Workshop in 1961, Madison Opera presents three operas annually along with the free Opera in the Park concert event. The company’s varied repertoire boasts powerhouse operatic works by the likes of Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Britten, and Copland, as well as classic musicals like Carousel, Brigadoon, and Kiss Me Kate. Educational opportunities include the adult series Opera Up Close, the Student Matinee program, the High School Apprenticeship program for aspiring singers, and more.
Madison Opera Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (steps from buses 11, 27 and 28 at State Street/Johnson Street; and within a 3-minute walk from bus 81 at Henry Street/Gorham Street and buses 38 and 82 at Broom Street/Johnson Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Three operas annually in addition to Opera in the Park
- Ticket Prices: Tickets range from $16–$114 at Overture Hall and from $20–$64 at The Playhouse. Students receive discounted tickets. Group discounts are also available, and range from 10%–20% depending on group size
- Subscriptions: Several options are available, and prices range from $30–$232 with prices varying by show, venue, and seat selection
- Membership: Four individual membership/donor levels are available, and benefits are tiered: Partners (up to $249) receive recognition in performance programs; Enthusiasts ($250-$499) receive discounts at select restaurants, and invitations to select opera receptions; Benefactors ($500-$999) receive invitations to all opening Night “Meet the Artists Receptions”, and 10% off all Opera up Close Tickets; Circle Society members ($1,000 & Up) receive complimentary reserved parking.