Founded in the mid 1970s to give the booming city of Houston an intimate alternative for challenging plays and musicals, the Main Street Theatre provides local audiences with a welcome array of contemporary classics and area premieres by such respected playwrights as Tom Stoppard (Arcadia), Terrance McNally (Master Class) and Alfred Uhry (The Last Night at Ballyhoo). Boasting two theatre locations (Rice Village and Chelsea Market) that keep audiences in close proximity to the action, Main Street produces over 15 productions annually. In addition it its seven-show mainstage, a five-show theatre for young audiences, and a three-show lineup, in which kids get to be the stars, have made Main Street a popular destination for theatrically savvy Houston families.
Main Street Theater Information
- Other Venues: Main Street Theater, Chelsea Market, 4617 Montrose Boulevard
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Thursday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $20–$36, student and senior tickets $16–$28, preview tickets $10, half-price Rush tickets available on selected seats 90 minutes before curtain, $10 tickets for any student with a valid School ID, pay-what-you-can performance the first Sunday after opening night ($5 minimum). Youth Theater tickets are $10–$12. Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Six-Play $47–$105, Preview Six-Play $54, Season Pass $160, and Student Pass (buy one adult sub and get extra $36 sub for accompanying teenager); students and seniors eligible for discounted subscription prices. Subscribers can exchange tickets for free; non-subs pay $5 fee.