The Majestic Theatre opened in 1929, the largest and most ornate movie theatre in the state of Texas, and the second largest of its kind in the country for many years. At its opening the Majestic was state-of-the-art, equipped with the most modern sound and projection equipment, and was the first fully air-conditioned theatre in the state.
Over decades the Majestic saw public tastes change, from motion pictures to rock ‘n roll and everything in between. Like many urban theatres, it was faced with the prospect of demolition in the 1970s before its addition to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. After being donated to the newly formed Majestic Foundation, the theatre flourished for another decade, featuring a wide variety of performance events.
After being closed for several years for comprehensive renovations, the Majestic reopened in 1989 as the performing home of the San Antonio Symphony, as well as Broadway Across America – San Antonio. The Theatre’s calendar also features a wide variety of local, regional, national and international performing artists of all disciplines, including comedy, dance, theatre, music and more.
The Majestic is most noted for its architectural and decorative style, drawing equally from Spanish Mission, Baroque, and Mediterranean traditions; its palatial atmosphere and brilliant décor make for a unique and transformative performance experience. Arts Center Enterprises, Inc. currently manages operations at the Majestic, as well as its sister, the Charlene McCombs Empire Theatre.
Majestic Theatre Information
- Other Venues: Charline McCombs Empire Theatre, 226 N. St. Mary’s Street
- Public Transportation: Fair (accessible by a number of public bus routes)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 200 events at both the Majestic and Empire Theatres
- Ticket Prices: Varies ($10-100) depending on event and seating choice
- Group Discounts: Available for all groups of 15 or more
- Subscriptions/Membership: Subscriptions available to Broadway Across America – San Antonio. Click here for more details.