Though smaller than the other New York music conservatories, The School for New Music has played an influential role in the growth of the city’s educational landscape for nearly 100 years. Famous former faculty and alumni include composer Bohuslav Martinu, pianist Murray Perahia, and mezzo-soprano Frederica von Stade.
Today, Mannes College stays true to its roots as a community music school, with an expansive Preparatory Division serving nearly 500 students aged 4-18. Performance programs unique to Mannes include the Schneider Concerts series, devoted to the development of emerging chamber musicians, and the annual Mannes festivals—yearlong programs featuring faculty, staff, and esteemed guest artists.
Mannes College—The New School for Music Information
- Venues: Mannes Concert Hall, 150 W. 85th Street; Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center; Carnegie Hall
- Public Transportation: Very good (all venues)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Mannes has multiple performances every day of the week. Check out the website to find information on orchestra, opera, chamber music, new music, special festivals, recitals, and master-class performances
- Ticket Prices: Many events are free and open to the public; there are some exceptions and events outside of Mannes often require a ticket for admission. When there’s a charge, discounts are available to students and seniors.