Founded in 1986 as Manhattan Class Company, this Off-Broadway collective of actors, writers, and directors is now familiarly known by its initials. MCC has presented plays ranging from Margaret Edson’s Wit to Bryony Lavery’s Frozen to Neil LaBute’s reasons to be pretty. MCC is also known for its annual “Miscast” gala, in which some of Broadway’s hottest stars perform songs from roles in which they would never be cast.
In addition to its mainstage shows at the Lucille Lortel Theater, MCC has a Playwrights’ Coalition in which emerging writers such as Adam Bock, Stephen Adly Guirgis and Lucy Thurber have developed new works. The MCC Theater Youth Company, an after-school program that recently celebrated its 10th anniversary, gives students the opportunity to write and perform works which are then showcased in presentations including UNCENSORED and the FreshPlay Festival.
MCC Theater, MCC Theater New York
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible by subway lines 1 at Christopher Street/Sheridan Square; A, B, C, D, E, F, and M at W. 4th Street/Washington Square; the PATH at Christopher Street; and buses M8, M11, M14A, M20, and M21)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is typically Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Regular tickets range from $59–$79. $20 Under 30: Available to ticket buyers who are less than 30 years old. One ticket per valid ID, subject to availability. $15 Student Rush tickets available 20 minutes prior to curtain. One ticket per valid ID, cash only, subject to availability. Group discounts are available to groups of 10 or more and to students (15 or more)
- Subscriptions: $99 Standard Subscription gives you 1 ticket to each production. $79 Preview Subscription gives you 1 ticket to each production during the first 10 performances. Subscriber benefits include a two-week booking period (before tickets go on sale); ticket exchange/reschedule; ability to buy guest tickets at a discounted rate; 10% off at select West Village eateries; early notification of MCC Theater events, Youth Company performances, and post-show talkbacks; special offers by email, including discounts to performances at Broadway and Off-Broadway theaters; and emailed invitations to exclusive MCC Theater readings and Off-Broadway and Broadway dress rehearsals.