The history of the McCarter dates back 80 years; the theatre was originally built as a permanent home for the Princeton University Triangle Club, which continues to perform here to this day. During the 1930s, the McCarter gained popularity as a pre-Broadway showcase venue due to its large seating capacity, its 40-foot proscenium stage, and its proximity to New York City. Among the American classics that had their world premieres here are Thornton Wilder’s Our Town, George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart’s You Can’t Take It With You, and William Inge’s Bus Stop.
Under its current artistic director, Emily Mann, the theatre has gained a stellar reputation for its emphasis on the creation and development of new works and for fostering long-term relationships with playwrights. In 1994, the McCarter received the Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. Over the years, the theater has also become known as a home for music and dance of all genres.
McCarter Theatre Center Information
- Public Transportation: Easily accessible
- Handicapped Accessible: Fully accessible
- Hours:Theater performance schedule is Tuesday through Sunday, with schedules for concerts and other special events varying
- Admission:Single ticket prices generally $15 – $55.Several discount options available for students. Public Rush Tickets are sold at a 50% discount at the box office on the day of performance. AAA members are eligible for 10-15% discounts on single tickets
- WHYY/Channel 13 and Discover Jersey Arts/Drama League members are eligible for some ticket discounts. Employees of many major companies that support the McCarter qualify for 15% discounts; check McCarter website or company HR department for more information. Some Pay What You Can performances offered. Join Email Club to get notices of special offers. Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Membership: Several subscription packages available, including Theater, Music, Dance, Jazz, Cabaret, and flex packages
- Other Benefits:Theater Series subscriber benefits include free ticket replacement, subscriber discount card, unlimited ticket exchange, and dress rehearsal invitation.