This museum at Southern Methodist University features one of the most comprehensive collections of Spanish art outside Spain, with works by El Greco, Velazquez, Ribera, Murillo, Goya, Miro and Picasso. Its collection also consists of works of all nations, and spans from the 10th to the 21st centuries. Highlights of the permanent collection include Renaissance altarpieces, Rococo oil sketches and Baroque canvases. It also maintains a collection of 20th century sculptures by Rodin, Lipchitz, Oldenburg, Calatrava and others.
Although the focus is on Spain, its past exhibitions show that the institution represents all types of art. It has shown exhibitions on modern drawings, Tuscan Etruscan art, and American art from the 1850s to the 1950s.
Today, its collection continues to grow. It recently acquired Sho, a stainless steel sculpture by the contemporary Spanish artist Jaume Plensa.
Meadows Museum Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (The 539 bus at Hillcrest and Normandy, and the 768 bus from Bishop and Binkley are both less than a three-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. A limited number of wheelchairs are available upon request
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (Thursdays until 8:00 p.m.), Sunday 12:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m. The museum is closed on Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: $8 for adults, $6 for seniors (65+), $4 for students. Meadows Museum members and children (under 12) are free. SMU faculty, staff, and students with University Photo ID are free
- Tour: Individual docent-led tours are free with the price of admission, and are conducted Sundays at 2:00 p.m. and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Group docent-led tours for students ($1.50 per person) and adults ($5 per person) are offered Tuesday–Saturday from 10:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Reservations are required three weeks in advance. Self-guided tours are free, and reservations are required two weeks in advance
- Membership: Individual membership is $60 ($48 with SMU discount). All members receive two personalized membership cards (provides unlimited free admission for two individuals to galleries and exhibitions); invitations to members-only exhibition previews, open houses, and receptions; priority admission to select special lectures and presentations; free subscription to the semi-annual guide, At the Meadows; free subscription to the eCalendar event announcements; 10% discount in the Museum Shop
- Other Benefits: At the Fortuny Angel level ($2,500) members receive a complimentary one-time use of the Jones Great Hall or Founder’s Room for a private even.