In the early 1960’s, a tiny and tenacious woman named Loyce Houlton formed a young ensemble of dancers in Dinkytown, Minnesota. With a staunch determination to enrich the state’s artistic landscape, Houlton’s fledgling company developed into a technically well-rounded and mature group of dancers, equally at ease performing both ballet and modern repertoire. Minnesota Dance Theatre is now recognized as one of Minnesota’s artistic gems with Houlton’s originalNutcracker Fantasy distinguishing itself as the longest-running arts event in Minnesota history.
Minnesota Dance Theatre & The Dance Institute (MDT) Information
- Other Venues: The State Theatre, 805 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis
- Public Transportation: Good (easily accessible via Light Rail or bus)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Two programs: one in the fall and one in the spring, three performances each. MDT also does a week-long run of the annual Nutcracker ballet
- Ticket Prices: About $30. Nutcracker performances are slightly more expensive, ranging from $25 up to about $50. Student discounts are available through season packages
- Subscriptions: Two packages are available. Package A includes the fall and spring programs and the Nutcracker. Program B includes only the fall and spring programs. Adult and student packages are available. Subscribers get free ticket exchanges up to 24 hours prior to performance. Other benefits include priority seating, 20% off all additional singe tickets, invitations to MDT/DI Up-Close and Personals, 20% off on MDT/DI merchandise, and invitations to opening night post-performance receptions.