Recently moved to a new expanded location in downtown Jackson, the Mississippi Museum of Art (MMA) has a mission to actively engage its community in the arts. The MMA traces its origins back to 1903, when local artist and educator Bessie Cary Lemly organized an Art Study Club to foster appreciation for the arts in Jackson. In 1911 Lemly organized an exhibition of work by local artists (many of whom were members of the Art Study Club), which quickly led to the formation of the Mississippi Arts Association (MAA). In 1978 it found space in the city’s new cultural and educational complex, and officially became the Mississippi Museum of Art. Its most recent renovation expanded the Museum by a city block, also enhancing its profile within downtown Jackson’s cultural district.
The permanent collection of the MMA contains a comprehensive survey of American art, with a great many works by native Mississippian artists. Important parts of the collection include Native American baskets and pre-Columbian ceramics, and collections of local quilts and outsider art. The MMA also maintains a busy schedule of exhibitions, rotating every few months through several exhibit spaces. The Museum School is the MMA’s new educational program, which offers classes and workshops in art creation and appreciation to people of all ages, all year round; the MMA also continues its exchange with the community of Jackson through public art creation programs
Mississippi Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Good (All JATRAN bus lines stop at Union Station, which is a 7-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Saturday 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.; Sunday Noon–5:00 p.m. Closed Monday
- Admission: Adults $5; Seniors (60+) $4; Students (6–college) $3; Children (5 and under) and members are free. Students are free on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Adult groups of 20 or more are $4 per person, Student groups of 20 or more are $2 per person
- Tour: Free with cost of admission. Tours are available on a regular basis
- Audio Tour: Free audio tours are available for selected exhibitions
- Membership: Individual membership is $45; Dual/Family membership is $60; Senior membership (60+) is $35. All members receive free or discounted admission and priority entrance to all museum exhibitions and programs; exclusive invitation to Members-only preview parties, viewings, receptions, and special events; bi-annual newsletter; a 10% discount at museum store; and limited membership privileges and on-site store discounts at 68 museums in 13 states through the Southeastern Reciprocal Membership Program
- Other Benefits: One-time complimentary use of Museum facility for private function and private curatorial tours of each exhibition for member and up to five guests is available at the Chairman’s Rembrandt Level ($5,000).