Billed as the second largest pan-Asian performing arts organization in the U.S., Mu has two components: Theater Mu, an Asian American theater company, and Mu Daiko, a Japanese taiko drumming group. Founded as Theater Mu in 1992, the company has come to be known for its blending of Asian and Western artistic forms in the expression of Asian and Asian American stories and music. It presents four shows annually: three mainstage Theater Mu productions and one mainstage Mu Daiko concert. Additionally, the company offers festivals (including Next Wave, New Eyes, and Passing the Beat) that are geared towards emerging playwrights, directors, and taiko students, as well as taiko classes and outreach to schools, community organizations, and corporations throughout the upper Midwest.
Mu Performing Arts Information
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: 4 shows per season with multiple performances of each, plus several special events presented throughout the year
- Ticket Prices: $15–$35 depending on event and seat selection
- Subscriptions: Passport to Mu (Full Season Package) $110. Benefits include admission to all four mainstage productions and two one-weekend-only special presentations; free unlimited access to all of Mu’s artist development showcases (one pass per performance per subscription); 20% off all additional tickets purchased; and more.