Founded in 1937 and currently in partnership with the Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland’s MoCC is focused on the history of and current developments in craft, as well as investigating its changing definition in relation to contemporary culture. The Museum’s Exhibition Galleries include 4500 square feet of space devoted to representing major national and international artists of today, and exhibiting work from the MoCC collection of objects, which illustrate the role of the Pacific Northwest and the Museum itself in the development of craft over seventy years.
The Gallery at Museum of Contemporary Craft is a major regional destination for purchasing exceptional new works in a variety of media, including ceramics, glass, wood, metal, fibers and mixed media. Many of the artists featured in the Gallery also offer gallery talks and workshop demonstrations, and MoCC’s Crafts Perspective series of workshops allows a regular forum for contemporary artists, drawing from the talent-rich community of the Pacific Northwest College of Art.
Museum of Contemporary Craft Information
- Public Transportation: Good (within close walking distance of MAX light rail, bus, and Portland Streetcar)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 am-6 pm; Sunday & Monday, Closed; First Thursday of every month, 11 am-8 pm
- Admission: General $3, Students (13+)/Seniors (62+) $2, Free to children under 12/PNCA students, faculty & staff/Museum members.
- Group Rates: $50 for guided groups of up to 20 visitors (Adults & Seniors), plus $2 per additional attendee. For self-guided groups of 15+ people, $2 for Adults/Seniors, $1 for Students & Non-profit groups.
- Tours: Reservations are required (with 3 weeks advance notice) for guided groups of any size or self-guided groups of 15+ visitors. Guided tours may be scheduled Tuesday-Friday between 11 am-5 pm.
- Membership: Individual membership is $45 ($25 Students/Seniors, $75 Household). Benefits include exhibition previews, guest passes, discounts at The Gallery, and reciprocal membership with over 30 college & university museums nationwide.