The Museum of the City of New York (MCNY) is dedicated exclusively to the past, present and future of this extraordinary metropolis. Exhibitions, public programs, and publications all serve to illuminate particular aspects of the city and its history. Issues addressed in exhibitions include the origins and numerous transformations of New York, from its founding to the present day; the diverse social, cultural and economic facets of its population; and prospects for its future role on the global stage. Other major holdings include decorative art, theater and Broadway memorabilia, paintings, sculpture, and a New York City Toy collection
An educational component is integral to the Museum’s mission; many important figures, cultural and political, of the city’s past and present have participated in lectures, panel discussions and other events. School programs, a Saturday American History Academy, and professional development programs are some of MCNY’s many educational offerings. Programs in all manner of creative disciplines, including visual art, architecture, literature, music, theater and dance, benefit from the city’s incredibly dynamic and variegated cultural landscape.
In the first half of 2012, the Museum had completed Phase II of a three phase construction project that has added new gallery space, a digitization lab, education center, and a curatorial center to hold a vast collection of photographs, textiles, prints and other work, as well as bringing climate control and modern amenities to its existing galleries. Phase III will focus on the remaining galleries and the Museum’s public programs and events auditorium.
Museum of the City of New York Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (convenient to subway line 6 at 103rd Street; lines 2 and 3 at Central Park North; buses M1, M3, M4 or M106 at 104th Street and the M2 at 101st Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. Ramp access is available at the 104th Street entrance
- Hours: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Admission: Suggested donation; Adults $10, Seniors/Students $6; Families (max 2 adults) $20; Children 12 & under/Members free
- Tours: Group tours (10 or more visitors) are available in four types: Guided Curator-led tours ($25 adults/$20 students & seniors), Guided Docent-led or Curator-introduced tours ($15/$11), self-guided tours of permanent and special exhibitions ($9/$5), and guided Behind the Scenes tours ($49/$39)
- Membership: Individual annual membership is $50 (Senior/Student $35, Dual/Family $75). Benefits include unlimited free admission; discounts on tours, lectures, performances and special events; Museum Shop and Café discounts; and special member events.