Originally conceived as an organ concert series, Music for a Great Space was founded as a way to broaden the cultural landscape in the Piedmont Triad area. Guest artists have included tenor Anthony Dean Griffey, Philidor Percussion Group, Manhattan Piano Trio, and organist Isabelle Demers. In addition to presenting performances of chamber music, jazz, solo piano and organ music, the organization also offers a free Music for Young People concert twice each season which entitles attendees to free tickets for the whole family to that evening’s Music for a Great Space concert. One of the series’ most prominent and notable venues is Christ Union Methodist Church, with its Fisk Opus 82 organ featuring pipes as tall as 32’.
Music for a Great Space Information
- Venues: Christ United Methodist Church (410 Holden Road); Holy Trinity Church (607 North Greene Street); Dana Auditorium, Guilford College (5800 West Friendly Avenue)
- Public Transportation: Good for each venue. Christ United Methodist Church (a 5-minute walk from GTA bus 7 at Friendly Avenue/Holden Road). Holy Trinity Church (a 2-minute walk from bus 3 at Elm Street/Fisher Avenue; and a 4-minute walk from bus 14 at Lindsay Street/Greene Street). Dana Auditorium, Guilford College (a short walk from bus 7 at Friendly Avenue/Muirs Chapel Road)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for each venue
- Performances/Programs: 7-8 concerts per season
- Ticket Prices: $18 Adults; $15 Seniors; $5 Students. Each Individual ticket also allows entry of 2 young people under 16 years of age for free. Groups of 10 or more receive discounted tickets of $10 per person
- Subscriptions: Two options are available. The Full Season Subscription ($100 Adults; $80 Seniors) includes 7 master tickets, and the 4-Concert Flex-Pass ($55) includes 4 master tickets. For both options, tickets may be used for any event, and subscriber may use more than one ticket at a concert. Each ticket also allows entry of 2 young people under 16 years of age for free
- Membership: Donor ($125–$249); Sponsor ($250–$499 ); Patron ($500–$999); Benefactor ($1,000+). Members are listed in the season playbills.