(June 17 – September 9, 2012) Tucked out in the Connecticut woods, the rafters of Gordon Hall have been ringing with the sounds of incredible chamber music since 1930. Home of the oldest continuous chamber music festival, Music Mountain presents a 16-concert chamber music series, a Saturday evening jazz series and several Friday night Baroque concerts throughout the summer. Legendary for its fabulous acoustics and stunning grounds, the venue is a real treat for the combination music & nature lover. Tickets can be expensive, especially for the Chamber Music series, but this place is a real treat. Do note, when you hit the sweltering point of the summer, the volunteer staff opens all the doors of the hall, letting the occasional stray breeze through (a.k.a. no air conditioning). It’s a bit like summer camp if summer camp had world-famous classical players serenading you in the dining hall. Tickets available at the door or through the website. Series and season passes also available. The venue also frequently offers a dinner package along with evening performances. (MS)
Music Mountain Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Programs include a 16-concert Chamber Music series; a Saturday Twilight series of Jazz, Big Band, and Country (7-8 concerts) with dancing on an outdoor dance floor; and a Friday night series including a silent movie night with live music accompaniment
- Ticket Prices: $30 at door; $27 if purchased in advance or at the door with a Blue Card; Children (18 and under) are free when accompanied by a ticket holder. Group discounts are available. Special Concerts/Events range from $15–$75. You can also reserve a seat in advance with a onetime payment of $50 per seat per season
- Subscriptions: The Blue Card ($75) benefits include a 10% discount on tickets to any regularly priced Music Mountain concert and 4 companion ticket vouchers valid at regularly priced concerts. The Music Mountain Gold Pass (Individual $780; Pair $1,500) benefits include admission to all regular and special concerts; priority reserved seating (subject to availability); and half price tickets for guests at all regularly priced concerts. All Gold Passes are also transferable
- Donations: Several donor levels are available: Friend ($25–$199); Contributor ($200–$999); Sponsor ($1,000–$2,499); Patron ($2,500–$4,999); and Benefactor ($5,000+).