Kansas’s premiere destination for large scale Broadway musicals, Music Theatre of Wichita has throughout its nearly 40-year history provided outstanding takes on traditional favorites (Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof,Kiss Me Kate) and the occasional area premiere (Honk!, High School Musical). It has also earned a reputation as one of the country’s top summer theatres along the way. Known for its New York caliber production values, MTW’s elaborate stagings make full use of its vast 2,178 seat performance space, with talented locals sharing the spotlight with imported Broadway talent.
Long committed to providing educational opportunities to outstanding young performers, MTW‘s Next Generation program offers apprenticeships, a 75-person MTW Target Teen Choir, and a resident performance company to college students hoping to bridge training into a career in the arts. Among those who launched their careers at MTW is Broadway star Kristin Chenoweth, who first shared her glittering soprano as an unlikely Burmese princess in The King and I.
Music Theatre of Wichita Information
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Hours: Performance schedule is Wednesday through Sunday
- Admission: Single tickets are $17 – $54. Seniors (65+) and full-time students qualify for discounts. Discounts are available for groups of 20 or more. Two hours before each performance, remaining seats in the rear orchestra and balcony are sold at the box office for half-price
- Membership/Subscriptions: 5-show season subscription $80 – $225. Subscriber benefits include ticket exchanges