Although this modest Reno art museum can’t easily compare with the nation’s better-known collections, there is still some wonderful art here, including the striking pieces in the Altered Landscape Photography Collection and the regional art of the Sierra Nevada / Great Basin Collection. The NMA also hosts some fine traveling exhibitions (Raphael’s “The Woman With the Veil” recently made an appearance). Visitors occasionally complain that $10 admission is a lot to pay for a museum that you can get through in an hour, but local culture lovers may want to consider springing for a $35 annual membership. Not only will you then get free admission all year and access to the Center for Art + Environment Library, but membership also allows you to get in free to First Thursday concerts and hands/ON! Sunday Family Programs. Plus, members are eligible for discounts on museum school classes, which cover subjects such as drawing, knitting, painting, and photography.
Nevada Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (accessible by a few bus lines)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Hours: Gallery and store open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday–Sunday; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday; closed Mondays, Tuesdays, and national holidays. Café Musee is open 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday. Fred & Sherry Sibayan Library open 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday
- Admission: $10 general admission, $8 for students and seniors (60+), $1 for children 6-12 years old; free for museum members, Washoe County high school students, and children 5 and under
- Subscriptions/Memberships: Memberships start at $35 ($25 for students and seniors). Benefits include free admission to all exhibitions, First Thursdays, Center for Art + Environment Library, and hands/ON! Sunday Family Program; 10% discount at museum store; up to 20% savings on E.L. Cord Museum School classes and on event/performance tickets; and invitations and free admission to Members Premieres. At the $150 membership level, you qualify for a reciprocal membership to over 300 other museums nationwide
- Other Information: There is free wi-fi in the grand hall and the library.