The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage has been one of the premiere events in the U.S. for jazz and popular music over the last 40 years. The idea for the festival arose out of a spontaneous parade with Mahalia Jackson, Duke Ellington and the Eureka Brass Band. In 1971, the Festival proper was born and has never looked back. Virtually every notable jazz artist (and many a superstar popular act) has graced the festival stage, far too many to list here.
It’s a good idea to purchase weekend ticket packages well in advance for good discounts (approximately $50 off of regular single-day ticket price). Parking is very limited at the Fairgrounds Race Course, but some hotels offer shuttle service during the festival.
New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessible: Yes
- Performances/Programs: Over 500 different performers over two weekends.
- Ticket Prices: Single-day passes are $40 in advance, $50 at the gate. Children’s tickets are $5 (ages 2-11) in advance, or at the gate. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster or at the New Orleans Superdome and the New Orleans Arena.
- Other Discounts: Discount packages are available for the 1st and 2nd weekends of the festival at $35 per day ($105 for each three day weekend). Packages are only available very early and may be available only for a limited time.