Billed as Mississippi’s only not-for-profit professional theatre, New Stage was founded in 1965. The company produces contemporary plays as well as the classics. New works in development are presented through the Eudora Welty New Play Series, named for the distinguished author who helped found New Stage.
The company offers five productions each year in its subscription series, in addition to a Christmas show, an annual student matinee, and a kids-only show that features local area talent. Mainstage productions have ranged from The Crucible, Boeing-Boeing, Fences, andDoubt to such musicals as The Fantasticks, Ain’t Misbehavin’, Big River, and The Spitfire Grill. The theater’s education department offers artistic and technical internships, runs touring programs for schools statewide, and develops curricula for youth and adult classes.
New Stage Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (JATRAN bus 1 from the State St. and Fortification St. stop is a 7-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 5–7 shows per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $22, Students/Seniors $18
- Subscriptions: Preview Nights $80; Regular, Matinee, and Flexipass (5 shows) are $100 for adults and $90 for students/seniors; Mini Flexipass (any 3 shows) is $60.