Committed to the exploration of multiculturalism, the key word for the New Theatre’s annual six-show season is ‘diversity.’ Combining classic works by Shakespeare and Shaw with racially challenging new plays by artists like Nicky Silver, Quiara Alegria Hudes and Sandra Riley, the New Theatre represents stories that transcend continental divide, and unite audiences in a global search for humanity. A big winner at the annual South Florida Theatre Festival, the New Theatre is a favorite with the unique multi-ethnic audiences that make up the fabric of the Coral Gables arts scene. The company commissioned play, Anna in the Tropics by Nilo Cruz, was awarded the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for drama.
New Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (requires combination of Metrorail, trolley, and walking a few blocks, or bus)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Thursday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $35–$40, student Rush tickets (full-time students under 25) are $15. Group discounts are available for parties of 15 or more
- Subscriptions: Five-Play Flex pass is $150. Benefits include $10 off ticket price when you bring a friend and ticket exchanges; you can also see each show a second time for free.